Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day Two: Exhaustion and Total Awe Set In

This morning I shook myself out of bed at 5:45 am. That is mighty early in the morning for this girl! Our breakfast this morning began promptly at 7:00 am. Blair Hull sponsored our breakfast and spoke about creating a sustainable Democrat infrastructure in Idaho. We also heard from some Next New Deal in '09 folks and I would highly recommend checking out their website for more information. I definitely plan too! We also heard from yours truly in the capacity of Pro-Choice Whip for NARAL Pro-Choice America. I and several women from the organization passed out "Yes we can" cans full of stickers, key chains, and information. I spoke to the importance of health care for all including reproductive health for all. This year Idaho Democratic Party and the Democratic National Committee have adopted a platform with the strongest pro-choice language ever. It is important that we defeat John McCain in the fall in order to prevent his undoing all the work we as a party have put into ensuring that not only the right to choose, but the right to reproductive health.

After our speakers this morning, we received our credentials and caucus tags. They are on a special lanyard designating Idaho as one of a select group of delegations that reached 100% in the Green Delegate Challenge! Our credentials are handed out everyday only at breakfast. They are printed here at the Denver Mint. They are one of a kind and it's been said they are worth their weight in gold... :)

This morning there were many events. A program honoring "Unconventional Women" was held at the down town Performing Arts Center. Several members of the delegation and I stopped by and visited with many of the attendees on our way to the ADA luncheon. The ADA was holding this event to support the Employees Free Choice Act and was well attended by members of Congress. A stand out speech was delivered by Congressman Barney Franks of Massachusetts and I look forward to being a temporary resident of his state. Also, Robert Kutner spoke eloquently about economic policies and Obama's politics as discussed in his new book. There were copies of the book for the attendants of the luncheon and he made sure to sign them for anyone who asked.

After meeting as many folks as we could, our group headed to the Pepsi Convention Center for the first meeting of the DNC 2008! We hopped on a shuttle and wound our way through an intricate grid of security for what seemed like hours...but was actually only 30 minutes. Security was tight, but well worth it as we finally walked in the doors of the Pepsi Center. The excitement that had been building during the walk up to the center let loose in a torrent of tears as I was struck by the sheer immensity of my actually being a part of this amazing democratic event. The women checking IDs closest to me noticed my tears and said, "It's okay, I feel that way too."

The convention convened at 3:00pm and we immediately got down to business approving both the Credentials Committee's report and the 2008 DNC Party Platform. It was awesome to hear so many people yelling "AYE!" in unison. The arena slowly filled as I walked around the floor and got orientated with the space. It was amazing to be able to watch all the media personnel work within and around us. I personally rubbed shoulders with Anderson Cooper and Dan Rather; while I watched Wolf Blitzer and Charlie Gibson from a few feet away.

Many people gave speeches this evening. Party members, ordinary folks, members of Congress all were represented on stage. My favorite, or so I thought at the time, was when President Jimmy Carter came onto the stage. As a past volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, I really feel a kinship for President Carter's work after he left office, so it was neat to see him in person. But, then, but then, Caroline Kennedy spoke about Sen. Obama and Sen. Kennedy. She paid tribute to her Uncle Teddy, and his brothers, to the cheers of the entire Convention. We watched a short video salute to Sen. Kennedy. As it came to an end, the stage hands set a tool on the stage and Sen. Edward Kennedy walked into the hall with his wife-the Convention hall went NUTS! Everyone was yelling and screaming because we had heard the Senator was too ill to make it out to the DNC this week. For me, it was an especially awesome moment because his work in Congress is a personal inspiration. Let me tell you, hearing is fiery speech brought hope to my heart and many tears to my eyes. I am so very grateful for his efforts in making it to the Convention tonight.

The stand out speech was the final speech delivered by Michelle Obama. It was eloquent, honest and really helped me get to know the reality of her family's life. I was impressed and flattened by the grace of the delivery, as was the entire hall. Everyone was waving huge signs that said "Michelle" and she had to stop her speech several times to allow for the cheering. It was amazing, loud, and positive engery from all around the hall during the entire course of her speech. At the conclusion of the event, her daughters joined her on stage as Sen. Obama joined on via the large tv screens in the convention hall.

All in all, this day was even more amazing then yesterday. I cannot wait to see what is in store for me tomorrow!

No comments: